Interview Documentation

Q:What should students expect of you as a teacher?

A: Graphic design content, competent designers, strict, be ready for the design world of a professional.


Q: What is a method of teaching you might rely on frequently? Why wouldn't you use a different method?

A: Follow along, doing demo, its hard to watch demo then do the whole thing. More Kinetic learning. Probably not lecture too much.


Q: What do you want students to learn?

A: Principles of design. Modern designers. Bring in contemporary content. Alternative aesthetics.


Q: How might you know your goals for students are being met?

A: By observing and listening I should be able to discern if the content and goals are being met. Checking for interest and engagement as well. 


Q: How might you as a teacher create an engaging or enriching learning environment?

A: The classroom could be nontraditional format, something distinctly different than a regular computer lab.  Trying to make it feel open and welcoming. 


Q: What specific activities or exercises might you use to engage your students? 

A: Sigil drawing, Celtic runes, word, remove the vowels, design into a shape. Draw anything and then do it again digitally, then find interesting outcomes. 


Q: How has your thinking about teaching changed over time? Why?

A: A couple years back I was thinking about art therapy or museum work. But the more i was in the classroom as I was teaching in Spartanburg, I had a lot of fun. At first it seemed tiresome, but by experiencing it I discovered that it was enjoyable. 


Q: What about your work as an artist might influence your teaching?

A: For all the process of the recent work, it has been large scale installation, and it takes a long time. I think this would make me think that I would have large scale assignments rather than a ton of little assignments that result in something more monumental in though or in action. 


Q: Why might you teach the way you think you will?

A: It was because in undergrad, I was noticing things that I wanted to be done differently. I am influenced most by my experience as a student. 

Comments

Popular Posts